World-Class Research Facilities
Through its alliances with cutting-edge research organizations within the region, Pellissippi Place offers a myriad of R&D resources for companies. These resources include:
- A trained labor force in highly technological fields in energy, materials science, and other areas
- Numerous possibilities for the commercialization of research from ORNL labs
- Access to federal government and private financial sources through subcontracting opportunities.
University of Tennessee Benefits
- UT partners with Battelle to manage the Oak Ridge National Laboratory.
- Through the Science Alliance, a center of excellence in partnership with ORNL, UT is a world leader in theoretical and applied collaborative research.
- A new $125 million bioenergy research center will search for ways to produce alternatives to gasoline.
- The National Transportation Research Center studies intelligent transportation systems, safety, vehicle technology, environmental impacts, and safety issues.
Y-12 National Security Complex Benefits
- The Oak Ridge Center for Manufacturing and Material Science, located at the Y-12 plant, is a high-precision manufacturing assembly and inspection facility. It helps industries answer manufacturing questions and develop new products from the concept and design stages to building prototypes and configuring processes.
- As part of the National Nuclear Security Administration, Y-12 helps ensure a safe and reliable nuclear deterrent, retrieves and stores nuclear materials from around the globe, and disposes of surplus highly enriched uranium in a safe way.
- Y-12 programs support soldiers in combat and enhance space missions. The company also lends its specialized expertise to the Department of Homeland Security, other federal agencies, and private-sector firms by developing and deploying innovative security technologies with wide-ranging applications.